Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tone

"In every class, the teachers gave us free time. Free to write. Free to read. Free to think. And what did I do? For the first time, I thought about my own funeral."  Most of the time Hannah would talk into the tapes, the tone was eerie and mysterious. She seemed to forewarn her suicide, and even though I've know from the beginning that she is dead, I still feel like I don't know how she will end up. The tone is set so that I still feel like the rest of her life is a mystery or the outcome of the book might be different if I keep reading. Though the conclusion of the book does not change the fact that Hannah is dead, the tone makes the reader want to continue reading until they put the puzzle together at the end and connect all the stories so that Hannah's story makes sense to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment