Sunday, August 19, 2012

Mood


Mood. This is the reason that I didn't like this book as much as most people. Most of the time, the mood was depressing and blue. Reading the book, listening to Hannah Baker, knowing from the beginning that she killed herself, was quite dismal for me to read for too long. The mood was strong too, making me feel pessimistic and sadly pensive after I put the book down. Clay Jensen's feelings of Hannah did not help the dark mood anymore. He loved Hannah Baker, and listening to her story on why she killed herself was even more depressing because he expressed his feelings for her the whole time. Especially when his tape was playing, he recalled on how much he loved Hannah and had deep feeling for her even though she had put him in the tapes of the reasons why she killed herself. Hearing his part of her story torn him up inside and reading that part made me feel almost as sad as Clay. While reading this novel, it felt like there was a giant dark rain cloud above my head.
When the mood wasn't too depressing, it turned into twisted and disturbing feeling, like when Hannah made sick jokes about dying. This mood didn't make me want to put the book down, but rather read more so I could forget the weird morbid feeling that the last sentence gave off. Some parts of the plot made the mood awkward and queasy, which was even worse than the depressing mood I got from the rest of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment