Sunday, August 19, 2012

Plot

Right off from the first page, the book Thirteen Reasons Why made you itch to find out Hannah Baker's story and where the narrator, Clay Jensen, fell into her list of reasons. The plot was quick moving at first, jumping right into the cassette tape and the rising action. After that, however, the plot slowed down. The book dragged on the stories of the other kids who received the tapes before Clay, making you want to read the book even faster to get to the climax. Unfortunately, I found the book rather depressing at some times, making me want to put the book down because it put me in a gloomy mood. If the book wasn't so unnerving, I probably would have wanted to read it faster, that's where I thought the author went wrong with this book. In the rising action part of the novel, he stressed the dark mood too much that it made the readers unwilling to read on. On the other hand, once I had gotten to the climax of the story, when the tape's story is of Clay, I could not tear my eyes away from reading it. The plot from then was fast paced like it was at the beginning of the book and the mood was light enough that I could read it without feeling too blue, making it impossible to put down. The plot was also well thought out, I could tell the author knew the direction the book was meant to go at the very beginning. He connected the stories I had read in the first fifty pages of the book with the last twenty pages and they fit together nicely, almost like a puzzle. Overall, the plot was thrilling and planned out, but drew out the morbid parts too much for my enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment